The “guardians of the gate” at Prospect Park
Prospect Park in Brooklyn is one of the most fully realized of Frederick Law Olmsted’s landscape design principles. This 585-acre park was largely completed in 1867, with revisions and additions in subsequent decades. In 1898, two large bronze panthers were installed atop granite pedestals to mark one of the park’s main entrances. Recently, the addition of bike share facilities has raised the rankles of those who do not appreciate the intrusion.
By David W. Dunlap
The New York Times
September 14, 2016