Last of a military landscape in Brooklyn
The Brooklyn Navy Yard, established in 1806, was one of the largest shipyards in the world at times during its history. Although the Navy Yard was closed in the 1960s, several of its officers’ housing units—on what was called Admiral’s Row—continued to serve as Naval housing into the 1970s, but then were largely abandoned. While some preservationists hope to save the last of these from destruction, it appears those efforts have failed.
By Nathan Kesinger
Curbed New York
September 1, 2016