St. Pancras Railway Station in a London borough reopened in 2007 after extensive renovation. The railway station first opened in 1868 with what at the time was the largest single-span arch roof in the world. As befell many exuberant examples of Victorian architecture in the mid 20th-century, the train station was threatened with demolition but ultimate saved. The renovated rail station re-opened to the public as St. Pancras International in 2007, connecting the British Isle to the European continent via the Channel Tunnel.
St. Pancras International was London’s Valentine to Europe
By Adrian Higgins
The Washington Post
August 6, 2016